Saturday, April 23, 2011

Love Grows Here!!

We have a circular driveway.  In the middle is a grassy area that's flanked by huge lilac bushes at each end.  It's always just been another spot to mow, but I've always wanted to put "something" in the middle of that grass.  I imagined a fountain or maybe a pond with water plants and fish.  I didn't know how to build either though and the thought of building one intimidated me.  I knew a water line would be required, electric too for the lights I envisioned surrounding the water.  So, I did nothing except mow the area.  In 2010, my father who lives in Virginia Beach, VA was deemed incapable of living alone any longer and was put into an assisted living facility. A social service agency was court appointed as his guardian.  To support his future expenses, they decided that his house needed to be sold.  We were given one chance to get what we wanted from his property before it was put up for sale.  Bobby and went down in February to meet the realtor to gain access to the house.  We got there a little early and when the realtor arrived, he found us happily digging in my dad's yard.  We loaded up river rock, bird baths and planters and brought them all home to WV.  I now had the beginnings of a flower garden in the middle of the driveway!!  Creating the garden was a family effort.  Bobby helped with leveling the area, determining the proper spacing for the rocks, lugging home 800lbs of dirt and keeping the designer (me) in coffee and water.  Thank you Bobby for being there and for all your help! Bethany and I went to Lowes to pick out flowers and found a couple of cute garden flags too.  Thank you Bethany for your patience as I looked and looked for the "perfect" blooms!!  Bethany and I planted all the flowers and tucked them in under a layer of mulch.  My dad loved to garden and I think he would be so happy that his garden didn't get leveled in Virginia Beach, but instead created so much beauty here in WV.

The finished garden!!

Love Grows Here!


 I love this old frog planter.  He's guarding the bird bath so the birds feel safe!
This heron is watching from the lilac bush in case fish ever do show up!
These flowers don't even look real!!

No comments:

Post a Comment